Proposal for custom time string formatting in std.datetime

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Dec 22 03:27:01 PST 2011

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:01:31 Somedude wrote:
> Le 22/12/2011 11:40, Jacob Carlborg a écrit :
> > Yeah, I don't get this. Most modules in Phobos are too large, in my
> > opinion.
>
> It largely is a matter of taste, I think. There are advantages in
> minimizing the size of files but there are also advantages in minimizing
> the number of files.
> But for datetime.d, it has largely gone beyond my own point of
> acceptability (which is about 5,000 lines, if that means anything).

Well, a large portion of the file is documentation and unit tests, and the
number of lines that the unit tests take up should go down as I refactor them
(which I've done some of, but I've still got a long way to go), but it's never
going to be anywhere near as small as 5,000 lines. SysTime alone is over 5,000
lines (though again, much of that is documentation and unit tests). But
ultimately, I think that whether a module is too large or not is a function of
its API rather than the amount of source code. It's a question of how
digestible the documentation is. And by that count, std.datetime is still
quite large, but it's a very different measurement.

- Jonathan M Davis