Java > Scala

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 03:54:28 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-12-20 at 02:41 -0500, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[...]
> I think that it is more important that developers learn proper data
> structures and algorithms together with computer architecture than
> just Assembly, specially if you are dealing with heterogeneous
> computing as it is becoming standard nowadays.

This last is a crucial factor in the next 2-5 years.  Intel has on its
road map processor chips with multiple CPUs and GPUs.  This means
languages have to be ready for heterogeneous execution models.  The JVM
is completely and totally unready for this shift in processor
architectures, and is unlikely to be able to do anything useful before
Java 11 or Java 12.

C and C++ currently have the advantage of being the languages of choice
for Intel and so integration of CPU code and GPU kernels (most likely
via OpenCL) will get their wholehearted support, along with Apple.

Does D have a position with respect to OpenCL?

We really ought to change the Subject if this thread goes any further?

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk