Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Dec 22 08:30:35 PST 2011

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 06:25:42 a wrote:
> Why are you ignoring the statement about 7z having  the same accessibility
> level as rar? Rar files are not rare and users who can open rar files (on
> Windows usually with WinRAR or 7zip) can also open 7z files.

But not without installing 3rd party software. Windows can handle zip files out
of the box. It can't handle the others. rar would have exactly the same
problem as 7z files (though from what I've see rar files are much more commonly
used). We _could_ use a file format other than zip, but then we'd be requiring
that the user download a 3rd party app just to be able to open the file, which
is _not_ the case with zip.

- Jonathan M Davis