Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:53:34 PST 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:44:08 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 12/22/11 12:53 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright"<newshound2 at digitalmars.com>  wrote in message
>> news:jcsbja$1pu7$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Because it's annoying.
>>>
>>> The idea should be to have as few steps as possible to install.
>>> Searching
>>> the intarnets for a 7z decoder, wondering if the one you're
>>> downloading is
>>> a virus, etc., is annoying.
>>
>> If you're a programmer, or even just a power user, you have absolutely
>> no
>> excuse not to *already* have a 7z-capable program installed.
>
> I didn't have 7z on my Mac until yesterday when I experimented with it.
>
> Let's focus on reducing the size of the zip by only including what's
> used and by using faster servers.
>

> Andrei

In the faster servers department I agree. I have a 25Mbps fiber connection
and the download tops out around 300Kbps. Have you considered Amazon S3
for storing your larger files? It's plenty fast and quite cheap, we use it
at work because for large files versus delivery costs, it beats everything
else on the planet. If you want you can even setup multiple zones so that
Europeans can contact a server that is close to them and Staters can
contact one in the US. Just my 0.02$.

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator