RFC: std.uuid

Johannes Pfau spam at example.com
Thu Dec 22 15:30:04 PST 2011

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:

> On Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 23:12:07 UTC, Johannes Pfau
> wrote:
>> There's one special thing about this module: It uses the ragel
>> (http://www.complang.org/ragel/) state machine compiler. I hope
>> this is not a problem for phobos, ragel doesn't introduce any
>> runtime dependencies and has no effect on licensing. There's
>> also no need to integrate ragel in the build process. We can
>> publish a pregenerated .d file, which should be updated
>> manually whenever changes to uuid.rl are made.
>
> Would it be hard to reimplement the ragel part using string
> mixins? From a quick glance at it, it doesn't seem too difficult.

It wouldn't be too difficult. Ragel is only used to parse the text form of
uuids. As that's a pretty simple task, such a parser could be written
manually.

But I also have a almost complete HTTP header parser/formatter
implementation using ragel which I wanted to propose for phobos eventually.
And I'm not going to rewrite those, so I hoped std.uuid could clear the way
for ragel based code in phobos ;-)