Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Dec 22 17:18:21 PST 2011

On 12/22/11 6:43 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 17:35:09 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Ok then, if you're claiming that I'm wrong and a programmer *does*
>>> have a
>>> legitimate excuse for not having a 7z-capable program, perhaps you could
>>> state what that legitimate excuse is instead of merely being
>>> contradictory?
>>
>> There are some funny consequences to this. If something completely
>> pisses you off, it might actually be an indication we're doing
>> something right. And if you say something is perfect for you, that's
>> almost always a reason to worry.
>
> Oof, I think saying that here was uncalled for.

Well Nick is not one to mince words so he probably won't be offended by
the converse. I didn't mean my comment to be inflammatory at all.

> I know Nick uses Windows, same as myself, and from last I heard Andrei
> uses a Mac. So, it's no wonder that there's such a huge disconnect of
> opinion - the Mac software ecosystem lived (and still lives, to some
> extent) in its own different world.

I use Mac and a couple of Unixen. The important part here is that we
should be neither provincial nor blandly generic. Clearly we agree
offering only 7z is not an option. The next question is whether we
should offer it same placement as the .zip file or the native installer,
and how to design the downloads page to avoid it being overcrowded.

Andrei