Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 18:32:17 PST 2011

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:00:59 -0800, a <a at a.com> wrote:

>> for storing your larger files? It's plenty fast and quite cheap, we use
>> it
>> at work because for large files versus delivery costs, it beats
>> everything
>> else on the planet.
>
> Are you serious? Data transfer prices at Amazon are *very* high.
> According to http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/ the price is 0.12$/GB
> (for up to 10TB/month). I don't know about US, but at EU vps hosts
> prices are closer to 0.01$/GB (see for example
> http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_vserver/vq7 )

I guess it's all about point-of-view. Compartively, in the US, Amazon's
prices are dirt cheap per GB. And I would point at that hosting all of the
D downloads in Europe would be a less than ideal plan due to the limited
bandwidth across the Atlantic. Also Amazon has significantly faster
connections than are typically available with VPS hosting. And also
consider the ability of Amazon to store the files in multiple regional
datacenters, this would allow Europeans, such as yourself, to download D
without having to traverse the Atlantic as you do today, and would allow
Staters to continue to enjoy their direct access without the intervening
Atlantic. In the end, my argument would be that you get what you pay for,
and Amazon's services and guarantees far exceed what your typical VPS host
offers. *Shrug* Personally, I have no dog in this fight, but the Amazon
solution is technically better, if slightly more expensive. But then
again, I don't see 1.20$ as too much for 10GB/month.

--
Adam Wilson
Project Coordinator