Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Thu Dec 22 19:50:34 PST 2011

On Friday, 23 December 2011 at 03:46:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 7:30 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> RAR (and some others) supports "recovery records" and
>> "recovery volumes"
>> (redundant data). The cool thing about them is that with a
>> recovery record of
>> 10%, ANY 10% of the archive's blocks may be lost and the
>> entire archive can be
>> recovered. It was a life-saver back in the days of floppies.
>
> I also worried about not having the right uncompressor when I
> needed it.

Easily mitigated by putting decompression software on the same
media, or by creating self-extracting archives. Then you only
need to worry about having the right platform/architecture :)

I've burned about 100 DVDs back when hard drives were in the 10s
and 100s of GBs. Another useful trick was storing a full catalog
(file listings) of all past burned DVDs on each disc.