Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 23 09:11:39 PST 2011

"Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
news:ejdbowcqhddtfrnxihzv at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...

> By this follows that the major OSes had their own established software
> packaging methods - installers and archives of various sorts on Windows,
> .dmg / .pkg / .sit for OS X, and tarballs for POSIX. Windows inherits much
> of its user base (and thus, user mannerisms) from the DOS days, back when
> there were dozens of archivers in common use (anyone remembers ARC, ARJ,
> LHA?). RAR and ZIP survived the test of time, with 7-Zip quickly gaining
> traction after its appearance due to improved compression algorithms.

Interestingly, in my experience, 7z seems to even beat .tar.bz2 by a
non-trivial amount. That's why I've completely replaced all the of zips and
tarballs for Goldie's packaged releases with 7z (and provided
explanation/instructions in the docs:
https://www.semitwist.com/goldie/Start/Install/#7z ).

> I know Nick uses Windows, same as myself, and from last I heard Andrei
> uses a Mac. So, it's no wonder that there's such a huge disconnect of
> opinion - the Mac software ecosystem lived (and still lives, to some
> extent) in its own different world.

I'm actually inching closer to being a linux guy. Being able to easily
script just about everything is pretty nice, and after Vista, Win7, and what
I've seen of Win8, I've been loosing the loyalty I've had in windows since
3.1. (YMMV, of course). Don't know when I'll actually make the switch
though, there's a few things I'd like to find/make for linux before I'd feel
comfortable using it full time.