Could we use something better than zip for the dmd package?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 23 09:20:43 PST 2011

"Mirko Pilger" <mirko.pilger at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jd005s$2kp3$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> The ftp is not the fastest one and 7z reduces the size by 40%.
>
> *+1*
>
> on desktop i'm mostly a windows guy and since the days of windows 95 my
> first step after a clean system setup has been always to install a 3rd
> party file archiver utility. i remember it was winzip in the beginning,
> shortly after replaced by winrar. i used those archivers until i
> discovered a file manager (and norton commander clone) named total
> commander which supports most common compression formats. instead of the
> windows explorer i use this piece of software for about a decade now.

I've had Total Commander on my computer for at least a year or two.
Personally, I find it awkward, but I *love* the multi-rename feature.

> i use 7z myself for backups for a couple of years now and if i have the
> choice i will always download 7z first, in absence look for tgz and choose
> zip always last if there's nothing else available.
>
> yes, i might be old fashioned and i'm pretty aware that both ram and disk
> space is cheap but shouldn't we (developers and engineers) also be at the
> forefront to push and introduce new technologies? isn't this even our
> collective responsibility?

Yea, this is exactly how I feel about it, too.