BigInt bool assign

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Dec 23 15:58:28 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis:

> I'd actually argue that that's a mistake.
> I see no reason to expand that
> problem into BigInt. _int_ shouldn't have it, let alone BigInt.

I find implicit bool->int conversion handy, but... I like better the Pascal/Ada way of keeping ints and bools more distinct. I don't like this aspect of the C language that D has inherited.

So do you want to write an enhancement request to change the way D ints and bools behave? OK. When D ints and bools will be changed the way you say then I'll be happy to see BigInts changed back to refuse assignments from bools.

But now 99.9+% of the integral values you find in D programs are not bigInts, so you are "expanding" something tiny. You are not improving code, you are just making BigInts a bit weird compared to most other D code.

Bye,
bearophile