Carmack about static analysis

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Dec 25 04:57:08 PST 2011

On Saturday, 24 December 2011 at 20:19:48 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Analogies of programming language with human language are
> flawed and take nowhere interesting. The only text that gets
> close to the level of precision and non-ambiguity needed is
> legal text; reading any amount of legal text blunts one's
> desire to be more like it.
>
> Andrei

I know of one attempt for natural language programming,
Hypertalk, the language of the Hypercard multimedia tool Apple
developped in the 1990's. The tool was very interesting in
itself, but the programming language is very limited and quite
verbose due to the choice of being a natural language. I suspect
it is the case of all natural languages used as programming
languages. Apart maybe in artificial intelligence, I believe
natural language has no useful use.