Carmack about static analysis

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Dec 26 15:48:16 PST 2011

Robert Jacques:

> The C4 pause-less GC, while very cool, is its own operating system.
> It doesn't run on-top of Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.

I think that eventually Linux will have to include some of those ideas, to allow language designers or virtual machine designers, to implement better garbage collectors. At the moment the interaction between GCs and virtual memory managers of the OS is often naive or bad.

In the meantime a serious D programmer that has to process lot of data efficiently is possibly willing to use a patched Linux to use a C4-like GC from D code.

But I think such garbage collectors are a lot of work to implement, so I think for now it's better to aim to something simpler for D2, that requires a smaller number of human-years of programming to be built :-)

Bye,
bearophile