A nice way to step into 2012

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 05:07:25 PST 2011

On Tuesday, 27 December 2011 at 10:57:35 UTC, Peter Alexander
wrote:
> On 27/12/11 10:51 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> Le 27/12/2011 05:25, Andrei Alexandrescu a écrit :
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/commit/675898721c04d0bf155a85abf986eae99c37c0dc
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> Maybe I'll seem bitter, but I do not think this changement was
>> really
>> that important. This is nice, ok, but we have some other
>> really serious
>> flaw, like shared not doing what it is supposed to do.
>
> You seem bitter :-)
>
> Seriously though, it's a fair point, but the syntax of lambdas
> is fairly important and this appears to be a simple change so
> the cost/benefit ratio is particularly high in this case.

This. You can let people play around with it, test it and provide
feedback with just a small patch.

And it is indeed very important. It's one of the few syntax woes
we have to deal with in D, it would be a shame to let the
benefits of std.algorithm and any other functional D code be
overshadowed by the powerful but often excessive syntax of
anonymous functions.

It's important when presenting D to initiates that high-level
code looks nice.