string is rarely useful as a function argument

foobar foo at bar.com
Wed Dec 28 14:18:10 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 28 December 2011 at 21:57:00 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 12/28/11 1:48 PM, foobar wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 28 December 2011 at 19:30:04 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> Implementation would entail a change in the compiler.
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Why? D should be plenty powerful to implement this without
>> modifying the
>> compiler. Sounds like you suggest that char[] will behave
>> differently
>> than other T[] which is a very poor idea IMO.
>
> It's an awesome idea, but for an academic debate at best.
>
> Andrei

I don't follow you. You've suggested a change that I agree with.
Adam provided a prototype string library type that accomplishes
your specified goals without any changes to the compiler. What
are we missing here? IF it boils down to changing the compiler or
leaving the status-quo, I'm voting against the compiler change.