A nice way to step into 2012

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:52:31 PST 2011

On Wednesday, 28 December 2011 at 20:58:33 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> Since they affect the API, they _do_ hurt

In my web.d, I support named and positional parameters for
remote calls.

I almost always use the positional parameters exactly because
they are not affected by name changes in the server app.

It's just so much easier to handle changes when the names
don't matter.

Though it might not be so bad in D since static checks
can help. I remember one time this was discussed, it was
suggested to allow the name if and only if the position
is correct too.

void foo(int a, int b);
foo(a: 1, b: 0); // ok
foo(A: 1, b: 0); // wrong name
foo(b: 1, a: 0); // wrong names because position is swapped

Though imo if you want that, you could always just use a comment.