string is rarely useful as a function argument

Derek ddparnell at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 29 00:43:32 PST 2011

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 16:36:59 +1100, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> I've seen the damage done in C++ with multiple string types. Being able
> to convert from one to the other doesn't help much.

I'm not quite sure about that last sentence. I suspect that the better way
for applications to handle strings of characters would be to internally
store and manipulate them as utf-32 (dchar[]) and only when doing I/O use
the other utf forms. So converting from the different forms is very
helpful.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia