string is rarely useful as a function argument

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Dec 31 08:47:40 PST 2011

I don't know that Unicode expertise is really required here anyway.  All one has to know is that UTF8 is a multibyte encoding and built-in string attributes talk in bytes. Knowing when one wants bytes vs characters isn't rocket science. That said, I'm on the fence about this change. It breaks consistency for a benefit I'm still weighing. With this change, the char type will still be a single byte, correct?  What happens to foreach on strings?

Sent from my iPhone