Would user polls be useful? (Was: Re: std.unittests [updated] for review)

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 04:52:42 PST 2011

On 02/01/2011 12:49 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
> spir wrote:
>> On 01/30/2011 01:13 PM, Jens Mueller wrote:
>>> I do not like putting it in std.exception. Maybe the name std.unittest
>>> is also not good. I would propose std.assert if assert wasn't a keyword.
>>> [...]
>>   I would_not_  expect helpers for writing
>>> assertions (Assert_Error_) in a module named std.exception.
>>
>> Same for me. Find it strange. Would never search assertion helper
>> funcs inside std.exception. Why not std.assertion? std.unittests
>> would be fine if there were some more stuff in there, I mean not
>> only assertions. Else, the obvious name imo is std.assertion.
>
> Nice. I just wonder what others think.
> I'd like to start a poll
> http://doodle.com/vn2ceenuvfwtx38e
> In general are those polls useful? I mean there where some
> discussions in the last time where a poll may help. git vs. hg. 80 vs.
> 90 characters per line. If all arguments are on the table it can be
> useful to have an opinion poll to finally settle the discussion.
>
> It may even be that I'm totally wrong here. But I think the module
> naming needs to be done very careful. It's what a D newcomer needs to
> grasp as easy as possible. Am I too picky? Somehow I care (too?) much
> about names.
>
> Jens

I care extremely about names, in general (as people may have noticed). Even
more, as you say, for standard modules, which names should be as obvious as
possible for newcomers. This also requires a clear policy for stdlib structure
/ organisation; present one, if any, is a mystery for me.
I doubt, though, a poll may be good decision means; at best, it may help and
have a rough review of what names /not/ to choose. (voted for your poll anyway,
just for fun ;-)

Denis