Patterns of Bugs

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Feb 1 05:49:54 PST 2011

On 28/01/2011 12:41, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Am 28.01.2011 13:33, schrieb Bruno Medeiros:

>>> Yes, what is the difference between a "slow beep" and a "fast beep"?
>>>
>>> While I'm ranting, does anyone else have trouble remembering which of O
>>> and | is on, and which is off? What's the matter with "on" and "off"?
>>
>> Hum, I never had problems with that: I always assumed the | meant a closed
>> electrical circuit (ie, you closed the circuit with the switch), thus naturally
>> it meant "on".
>>

> O looks like a *closed* circle to me so this isn't that helpful IMHO ;)

In my mental model (where the "|" means a closed circuit, or rather the
part of the circuit that closes it and makes electricity pass through),
the "O" doesn't fit well into that model, indeed, it makes no sense.
But just for the purposes of remembering which one is on or off, that
doesn't matter at all: I just think of "is the | pressed or not?".

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer