std.unittests [updated] for review

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Feb 1 07:21:54 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday 30 January 2011 05:28:36 SHOO wrote:

>> To be frank, I don't think that such a helper is necessary.
>> I think these helpers will harm intuitive readability of unittest code.
>> For unittest code, it is necessary to be able to understand easily even
>> if without the document.
>
> Do you really find
>
> assertPred!"=="(min(5, 7), 5);
>
> to be all that harder to understand than
>
> assert(min(5, 7) == 5);

I do. *Much* harder. Factor of two, at least.
In absolute terms, not so much, because it was the original assert is
very easy to understand. But the relative factor matters enormously.
Much as comparing:
a.add(b);
a += b;

And I think this is a very important issue.

 >I don't see how these functions could be anything but an improvement.
 > But even if they get into Phobos, you obviously don't have to use them.

This is not true. Including them in Phobos gives a legitimacy to that
style of programming. It's a role model.

Including stuff like this could give D a reputation for lack of
readability. My belief is that right now, the #1 risk for Phobos is that
it becomes too clever and inaccessible.

IMHO, something simple which has any appearance of being complicated,
needs a VERY strong justification.