Decision on container design

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Feb 1 08:12:13 PST 2011

On 1/28/11 8:12 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
> On 2011-01-28 20:10:06 -0500, "Denis Koroskin" <2korden at gmail.com> said:
>
>> Unfortunately, this design has big issues:
>>

>> void fill(Appender appender)
>> {
>> appender.put("hello");
>> appender.put("world");
>> }
>>
>> void test()
>> {
>> Appender<string> appender;
>> fill(appender); // Appender is supposed to have reference semantics
>> assert(appender.length != 0); // fails!
>> }
>>
>> Asserting above fails because at the time you pass appender object to
>> the fill method it isn't initialized yet (lazy initialization). As
>> such, a null is passed, creating an instance at first appending, but
>> the result isn't seen to the caller.
>
> That's indeed a problem. I don't think it's a fatal flaw however, given
> that the idiom already exists in AAs.
>
> That said, the nice thing about my proposal is that you can easily reuse
> the Impl to create a new container to build a new container wrapper with
> the semantics you like with no loss of efficiency.
>
> As for the case of Appender... personally in the case above I'd be
> tempted to use Appender.Impl directly (value semantics) and make fill
> take a 'ref'. There's no point in having an extra heap allocation,
> especially if you're calling test() in a loop or if there's a good
> chance fill() has nothing to append to it.
>
> That's the issue with containers. The optimal semantics always change
> depending on the use case.

Yep, yep, I found myself wrestling with the same issues. All good
points. On one hand containers are a target for optimization because
many will use them. On the other hand you'd want to have reasonably
simple and idiomatic code in the container implementation because you
want people to understand them easily and also to write their own. I
thought for a while of a layered approach in which you'd have both the
value and the sealed reference version of a container... it's just too
much aggravation.

>> An explicit initialization is needed to work around this design issue.
>> The worst thing is that in many cases it would work fine (you might
>> have already initialized it indirectly) but sometimes you get
>> unexpected result. I got hit by this in past, and it wasn't easy to
>> trace down.
>>
>> As such, I strongly believe containers either need to have copy
>> semantics, or be classes. However, copy semantics contradicts with the
>> "cheap copy ctor" idiom because you need to copy all the elements from
>> source container.
>
> Personally, I'm really concerned by the case where you have a container
> of containers. Class semantics make things really complicated as you
> always have to initialize everything in the container explicitly; value
> semantics makes things semantically easier but quite inefficient as
> moving elements inside of the outermost container implies copying the
> containers. Making containers auto-initialize themselves on first use
> solves the case where containers are references-types; making containers
> capable of using move semantics solves the problem for value-type
> containers.

Neither values nor references are perfect indeed. For example, someone
mentioned, hey, in STL I write set< vector<double> > and it Just
Works(tm). On the other hand, if you swap the two names it still seems
to work but it's awfully inefficient (something that may trip even
experienced developers).

Andrei