DVCS vs. Subversion brittleness (was Re: Moving to D)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Feb 1 15:27:27 PST 2011

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 15:07:58 Walter Bright wrote:
> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> > A more serious issue that I learned (or rather forgotten about before
> > and remembered now) is the whole DVCSes keep the whole repository
> > history locally aspect, which has important ramifications. If the
> > repository is big, although disk space may not be much of an issue,
>
> I still find myself worrying about disk usage, despite being able to get a
> 2T drive these days for under a hundred bucks. Old patterns of thought die
> hard.

And some things will likely _always_ make disk usage a concern. Video would be a
good example. If you have much video, even with good compression, it's going to
take up a lot of space. Granted, there are _lots_ of use cases which just don't
take up enough disk space to matter anymore, but you can _always_ find ways to
use up disk space. Entertainingly, a fellow I know had a friend who joked that
he could always hold all of his data in a shoebox. Originally, it was punch
cards. Then it  was 5 1/4" floppy disks. Then it was 3 1/2" floppy disks. Then it
was CDs. Etc. Storage devices keep getting bigger and bigger, but we keep finding
ways to fill them...

- Jonathan M Davis