DVCS vs. Subversion brittleness (was Re: Moving to D)

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed Feb 2 05:27:40 PST 2011

On 2/2/11 3:17 AM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> Bleh. I tried to use Git to update some of the doc files, but getting
> the thing to work will be a miracle.
>
> git can't find the public keys unless I use msysgit. Great. How
> exactly do I cd to D:\ ?

If you are new to Git or SSH, the folks at GitHub have put up a tutorial
explaining how to generate and set up a pair of SSH keys:
http://help.github.com/msysgit-key-setup/. There is also a page
describing solutions to some SSH setup problems:
http://help.github.com/troubleshooting-ssh/.

If you already have a private/public key and want to use it with Git,
either copy them to Git's .ssh/ directory or edit the .ssh/config of the
SSH instance used by Git accordingly. If you need to refer to

I don't quite get what you mean with »git can't find the public keys
unless I use msysgit«. Obviously, you need to modify the configuration
of the SSH program Git uses, but other than that, you don't need to use
the MSYS shell for setting up stuff – you can just use Windows Explorer
and your favorite text editor for that as well.

David