new documentation format for std.algorithm

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed Feb 2 14:34:11 PST 2011

On 2/2/11 10:03 PM, spir wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 09:40 PM, "Jérôme M. Berger" wrote:
>> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure about that. Facebook's site is professionally designed and
>>> I think they use fixed font sizes all over the place.
>>>
>> "Professionally designed" does not mean that they did the job right!
>>
>> Jerome
>
> Sure, setting absolute sizes and such was what web-designers used to do
> before the first html/CSS tutorial was published?

No, it's what designers do if they are actual designers. Having text
size entirely determined by the user is a noble idea for a web page
consisting entirely of freely reflowable text, but as a matter of fact,
there is much more to a web page today, and much more to what people
expect from website design.

Setting font size, line height and element dimensions in pixels is the
only option if you want an at least somewhat consistent user experience
across multiple devices (and their default values). If an user dislikes
the designer's choices, they might always use the zoom controls on their
browser to adjust the site to their liking (and browsers have gotten
pretty good at resizing nowadays).

David