std.xml should just go

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Wed Feb 2 15:33:42 PST 2011

For a while we've espoused the strategy of keeping std.xml in Phobos
until something better comes along.

But recently we've started to rethink that.

Pretty much everyone who tries std.xml ends up disappointed. Anyone who
wants to bash D has std.xml as an easy pick. Anyone who looks at speed
comparisons sees std.xml there like a sore thumb. Finally, the mere
existence of a package, no matter how inadequate, stifles the initiative
of others working on it.

This all makes std.xml a net liability. It's not better than nothing;
it's worse than nothing.

Should we nuke it?

Andrei