Should we have an Unimplemented Attribute?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Feb 2 15:59:23 PST 2011

On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 14:59:53 Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> We know what a Deprecated Attribute is for:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/attribute.html#deprecated.
>
> You can use a compiler switch to enable using these:
> -d
>     allow deprecated features
>
> But what about structs/classes/functions/etc which are partially
> implemented, but still unusable? Marking them with deprecated doesn't
> make sense, as this will likely confuse both the user and the library
> writers. Would it be overkill to introduce a new attribute?
>
> The idea came after I've spent some good time trying to get druntime's
> getMembers function to work in my code, only to find out from this NG
> that it's not properly implemented.
>
> Discuss?

Usually the thing to do would be to either comment them out or put an assert(0)
in the code. Regardless, I question the wisdom in adding something into the
language which _encourages_ you to leave in unfinished code.

If getMembers is not properly implemented, then it really shouldn't be left
uncommented and/or without an assert(0) in it.

- Jonathan M Davis