D vs Go on reddit

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 17:44:08 PST 2011

On 02/02/2011 10:37 PM, bearophile wrote:
> If a person looks at the history of computer languages, she sees thousands of languages. Many of them were lot of work to be created, and most of them have failed, over and over again. This has happened even to languages better than many other languages present at their time, and when you see this you get sad.

Like in any other domain in our civilisation, the (hum) "success" (in social
sense: fame, power, money) of a programming language has exactly nothing to do
with its quality.
Actually, I rather think the opposite: that deep reasons allowing the creation
of a Good Thing play against its social success (could hardly explain this
clearly); and conversely. I would for instance blindly bet 1000€ (or $, or £)
that in, say, 18 months, Go will have reached a higher level of success D will
ever reach. Nothing to do with quality.
I also bet Go not only will never be a good language, compared to other modern
ones in the same field, but will quickly become a big mess, and worse and
worse; while loads of people will sing for its fame (and more and more of them,
more and more loudly).

Denis