std.xml should just go

Gary Whatmore no at spam.sp
Thu Feb 3 13:51:41 PST 2011

Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:41:08 -0500, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Am 03.02.2011 22:26, schrieb Steven Schveighoffer:

> >> It has been posited by Tango's developers that simply looking at the
> >> documentation of a D library isn't enough to understand the library, you
> >> probably have looked at the source.  Until they change that opinion, I
> >> would
> >> avoid even the documentation.
> >>
> >> http://lists.puremagic.com/pipermail/phobos/2010-April/000370.html
> >>
> >> The pertinent quote from there:
> >>
> >> "In my opinion, claiming a clean room implementation of an API in D is
> >> difficult, if for no other reason that it is (due to imperfect doc
> >> generation
> >> etc) somewhat difficult to properly study a D API without at the same
> >> time
> >> reading the source (or glimpsing at it)."
> >>

> > They can claim whatever they want.. if Tomek says he only looked at the
> > documentation (for an idea how a good interface for a XML lib may look
> > like)
> > they can hardly prove anything.
>
> This exact situation was the case of the prior-mentioned infringement
> accusation.

It's sad to read how much these Tango assholes are trying to wreck the whole language. I doubt their implementation is any better than the high performance C++ libraries. I've been using RapidXML before and it's damn fast. My recipe for success would be: use the Boost license, do a clean room implementation inspired by the best C++ code, use ranges instead of slices or iterators, use Phobos free function and naming conventions, get Andrei's blessing. This will teach the Tango douchebags a lesson or two.

They always complain about us doing NIH code. But they're forcing us!

 -G.W.