std.xml should just go

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Feb 3 14:38:37 PST 2011

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 13:51:41 Gary Whatmore wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
> > On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:41:08 -0500, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:

> > > They can claim whatever they want.. if Tomek says he only looked at the
> > > documentation (for an idea how a good interface for a XML lib may look
> > > like)
> > > they can hardly prove anything.
> >
> > This exact situation was the case of the prior-mentioned infringement
> > accusation.
>
> It's sad to read how much these Tango assholes are trying to wreck the
> whole language. I doubt their implementation is any better than the high
> performance C++ libraries. I've been using RapidXML before and it's damn
> fast. My recipe for success would be: use the Boost license, do a clean
> room implementation inspired by the best C++ code, use ranges instead of
> slices or iterators, use Phobos free function and naming conventions, get
> Andrei's blessing. This will teach the Tango douchebags a lesson or two.
>
> They always complain about us doing NIH code. But they're forcing us!

There's no need to be rude. The Tango guys have done some great stuff. Benchmarks
have shown that Tango creams most (if not all) other major xml libraries out
there. It's lightning fast, and they've done solid work.

But they're using a different license and don't necessarily like the direction
that D2 or Phobos has gone, since it's definitely different than what they've been
doing, and they don't want people copying their code and putting it under a more
permissive license. I don't happen to agree with them, but I see no reason to be
rude to them about it.

Now, in some cases, if you can get ahold of the people who worked on a
particular set of code in Tango, it _is_ possible to get them to agree to let
you port their code to Phobos and the Boost license. However, that requires
getting ahold of them and getting their consent, which isn't always easy. And
they have every right to refuse if that's what they want.

Regardless, being rude doesn't help. All that's likely to do is beget rudeness
on their part. Let's try and be civil.

- Jonathan M Davis