std.xml should just go

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Feb 3 14:36:06 PST 2011

On 2/3/11 3:51 PM, Gary Whatmore wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer Wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:41:08 -0500, Daniel Gibson<metalcaedes at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> They can claim whatever they want.. if Tomek says he only looked at the
>>> documentation (for an idea how a good interface for a XML lib may look
>>> like)
>>> they can hardly prove anything.
>>
>> This exact situation was the case of the prior-mentioned infringement
>> accusation.
>
> It's sad to read how much these Tango assholes are trying to wreck the whole language. I doubt their implementation is any better than the high performance C++ libraries. I've been using RapidXML before and it's damn fast. My recipe for success would be: use the Boost license, do a clean room implementation inspired by the best C++ code, use ranges instead of slices or iterators, use Phobos free function and naming conventions, get Andrei's blessing. This will teach the Tango douchebags a lesson or two.
>
> They always complain about us doing NIH code. But they're forcing us!

I think it's reasonable of me to ask avoiding reopening a debate that
has little chance of being solved by emotional rhetoric.

Regarding taking inspiration from Tango code, I don't know what the
exact licensing issues are but the lesson learned during past incidents
is clear: Phobos contributors should conservatively avoid looking at
Tango. This is not difficult because there are many XML libraries of
good quality and performance. So let's.

Thanks,

Andrei