std.xml should just go

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 03:55:34 PST 2011

On 02/04/2011 10:15 AM, Don wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 2/3/11 7:56 PM, BLS wrote:
>
>>> I got more and more the feeling that the D2 monster was made just for
>>> ranges. The smart and elegant D1 design is definitely dead an gone. I
>>> think I am not the only one who would prefer a D1 plus instead of D2.
>>> bjoern
>
>> All in all it's fair to say that if you hate ranges you're going to dislike
>> D2, and there's little that can be done about that.
>
> Yes, but...
>
> I think we really, really, need to work on making Phobos less daunting.
> Right now, we have most of the functionality. But some things are unnecessarily
> complicated -- some are historical, some are workarounds for compiler bugs
> (many of which are now fixed), some are rough edges in the language definition
> which could probably be fixed.
>
> We don't have many examples; many discussions and explanations assume too much
> familiarity with terminology and concepts from functional programming
> languages; and probably most importantly, we don't have tutorials.
>
> All these things can and will be fixed. But right now, the learning curve is
> horrible, and it's a major turnoff for people.

I do agree.
Would like to help on some of those points (eg tutorials, howtos, examples, and
generally rewriting docs so that they do not assume familiarity fith FP /and/
with 99% of C++): but those points raised by Don, precisely, prevent me from
getting a knowledge of D2 the language good enough to even dare thinking at
such contributions. Nice clercle ;-)

Denis