newcomer-friendly doc [was: Re: std.xml should just go]

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 16:25:36 PST 2011

On 02/04/2011 10:41 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 2/4/11, spir<denis.spir at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> but there are tons of parts of D2 that would
>> benefit of a good introduction, really starting from the base (and not
>> implicitely assuming 10 years of C++ programming --esp. about vocabulary:
>> people here don't seem to realise how much words they use everyday can be
>> misleading coming from != background, or even not be used elsewhere in
>> programming).
>>

> So how would you go about doing this?

As I see it, it's mainly a question of state of mind, that helps and noticing
where/how/why newcomers may block. Some people seemingly cannot do that
(technical people are famously untalented at this, but imo this is a myth:
others are as bad ;-), a minority do it spontaneously. Your doc about templates
obviously is motivated by this attitude (or I am very wrong).
In any case, just trying at best to simply answer a set of questions like the
one posted in a previous message has good chances to do the job, don't you
think? at least to be very helpful, I guess...
Others difficulties is not to be too low-level (readers are not idiots), the
trap of using a school-like tone, etc.
I will try to contribute when I find a motivating topic, and have time for
that. (It is very time-consuming.)

Denis