buffered input

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Feb 5 03:53:53 PST 2011

Andrei:

> I've had the opportunity today to put some solid hours of thinking into
> the relationship (better said the relatedness) of what would be called
> "buffered streams" and ranges.

This is an important part of the range design. This range is useful for other things too, like:
- increasing efficiency of some lazy operations, as already done in Clojure. A buffer is meant to be CPU cache friendly, increasing performance of numeric code too.
- Buffered I/O
- The chunked lazy parallel map dsimcha is working on
- Creating a chunked interface in Phobos for DBMSs

See some of my posts about it:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Vectorized_Laziness_100525.html
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Re_Vectorized_Laziness_100676.html
http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=103882