buffered input

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Feb 5 14:22:01 PST 2011

"Heywood Floyd" <soul8o8 at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1318.1296941395.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

>As in, you've built some library that passes around ranges, but then some
>part of it is slow and needs buffered ones. Isn't the point that you can
>then swap out your ranges for buffered ones here and there, but continue to
>have a functioning library?

The problem with that is that in many many cases it forces unnessisary
copying. We can get much better performance with this slightly more
"hands-on" version. But that said, if the traditional "hands-free automatic
buffering" really is all you need, then such a thing [should] be easily to
construct out of the Andrei's style of buffered range.

>Then follows that popFront() means "discard the first _element_, so that
>the element that was second now becomes first." And if we can agree to
>that, then shiftFront() is possibly very confusing, and so is
>appendToFront(). They sound like they operate on the first element!

I completely agree. The names of those functions confused the hell out of me
until I read Andrei's descriptions of them. Now I understand what they
do...but I still don't understand their names at all.