Vectorisation Intrinsics for DMD?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 08:01:54 PST 2011

Is there any plan to add vectorisation intrinsics to DMD?

I know that DMD generates vectorised instructions for array operations,
but last time I checked, these were far from optimal for aligned
float[4] objects. In fact, it appears to generate a function call for
all vector operations, regardless of size or alignment.

I believe that these intrinsics would be very beneficial to D, and this
is because I believe that one of D's biggest markets is indie game devs:

- They need a really high performance language, but are tired of C++
- They are not held back by legacy code
- They are generally risk takers, so are willing to invest in new tech

A lack on vector intrinsics in DMD gives them an extra reason to stick
with C++.