std.xml should just go

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Feb 6 13:28:46 PST 2011

On 2011-02-06 20:51, Walter Bright wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2011-02-04 08:34, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> Slices: just one more reason why D's arrays kick the pants of other
>>> languages'
>>> arrays...
>>>
>>> - Jonathan M Davis
>>
>> Ruby has array slices as well. A slice of an array refers to the
>> original data just like in D. But on the other hand a new instance is
>> created when making a slice (I assume, since everything is an object
>> in Ruby).
>>

> Can you use an array slice in ruby as an argument to any function that
> takes a string?

Since Ruby is a dynamically typed language you can pass in anything you
want and relay on duck typing. The object passed in just have to support
the slicing syntax/method.

Hm, I just tried this and apparently a slice does NOT behave as in D.
Modifying the slice does NOT modify the original array/string, I was
completely sure it did.

--
/Jacob Carlborg