buffered input

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Sun Feb 6 19:37:09 PST 2011

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:53:01 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 2/6/11 8:57 PM, Robert Jacques wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:43:47 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

>>> What's missing is the part that they refer to front. Maybe
>>> discardFromFront() and fetchToFront()? But then I like
>>> discardFromFront() and appendToFront() better - the latter is about as
>>> long and more informative.
>>>
>>> Don't forget that these are relatively rarely used.
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>>

>> Actually, I don't think these functions would be relatively rarely used.
>> I don't see that many people using a buffered input's popFront. Instead
>> I see shiftFront in its place and an appendToFront call has to be made
>> whenever buffer.front.empty.
>
> Both byLine and byChunk are buffered inputs, are often used, and will
> have seldom use for the added functions.
>
> Andrei

Yes, but byLine is a higher order meta-range designed primarily for end
users. I believe that internally, byLine would use
shiftFront/appendToFront, as would virtually all library code. I do
apologize for thinking only as a library writer, but you need to remember
those of us writing the JSON, XML, separated value, etc parsers too, when
designing the api.