Efficient outputting of to-string conversions

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Feb 7 16:19:29 PST 2011

> On Monday 07 February 2011 13:10:09 Tomek Sowiński wrote:
>> Looks like std.conv.to always allocates behind the scenes. It's a shame as
>> the returned string is immediately processed and discarded in my XML
>> writer. Are there plans to include a custom output variant, e.g.
>> to!string(7, outputRange)?
>
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?LanguageDevel/DIPs/DIP9

Yah, we should hop on that. The DIP is concerned mainly with toString,
not std.conv. For the latter, Tomek's idea of passing an output range as
an optional second parameter seems appropriate. Please file as an
enhancement to bugzilla. If anyone has time to work on this, please do.
If not, I'll work on it as my schedule allows.

Andrei