Windows API Translation

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:55:41 PST 2011

On 2/8/11, Andrew Wiley <debio264 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Windows file change notification API from D, and
> I'm having trouble translating Microsoft's macro-laden signatures into
> D. I thought I had it figured out, but optlink says otherwise:
> The original function is this:

That's odd, I was just going through its documentation yesterday
because I need it for a personal project. I've also looked at
ReadDirectoryChangesW, which should give me the exact file or folder
that was changed. Just in case you haven't found already (or if
someone else is interested), there's a few good pages describing these
functions:

FindFirstChangeNotification function:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364417%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Example C++ Code:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365261%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

FindNextChangeNotification function:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364427%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

ReadDirectoryChangesW function:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365465%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

FILE_NOTIFY_INFORMATION Structure:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364391%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

WaitForMultipleObjects Function:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms687025%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/342668/how-to-use-readdirectorychangesw-method-with-completion-routine

The C++ example of FindFirstChangeNotification works great. There's no
I/O polling going on, the thread is waiting for WaitForMultipleObjects
to return and get notifications from the OS for any file/folder
changes, and they're pretty much instantaneous.