D vs Go on reddit

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 05:50:05 PST 2011

On 02/09/2011 08:47 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:iicfaa$23j7$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/fdqdn/google_go_just_got_major_win32_treats_now/c1f62a0
>>>

>> You'd think that things like JS, Haskell, LISP and Java circa v1.2 would have
>> taught people that extreme simplicity/orthogonality is a stupid way to design
>> a language that's intended to be used in the real world. But people keep
>> flocking to that silver bullet anyway.
>
> Yeah, I've been thinking of doing my next presentation on the topic of false
> simplicity.

Great! I long for reading such a doc.
Had in mind an article titled "simplicity ==> difficulty". The point is that,
when a PL predefines to few notions, and even more /distinctions/, then it
becomes articially hard to express any non-trivial model. The "modeller" needs
to reinvent the missing notions and distinctions, often in an unclear, adhoc,
even unconscious, manner. (*)

denis

Notions: associative table, collection traversal, multi-way choice,...
Among distinctions I would love to see in PLs are:
* define vs modify (2 != assignments)
	a := 1	// error: a is undefined
	a = 1	// ok
	a = 2	// error: a is already defined
	a := 2	// ok
* thing vs value (things is an element with identity/ref)
* function (question) vs action (command)