(Was: On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Thu Feb 10 08:36:29 PST 2011

On 30/01/2011 18:55, Tomek Sowiński wrote:
> Andrej Mitrovic napisał:
>
>> If you really want to set up a column limit that *everyone* has to abide to, then make a poll to see what everyone can agree on.
>
> Actually that's a splendid idea. Let's take it easy. Regardless of that silly beef I'm really curious what distribution will emerge.
>
> What is your preferred *maximum* length for a line of D code? (please reply with a number only)

My preferred maximum length for Java is 120. I haven't coded much D to
have an opinion about the length for D, but I would suspect it would be
more or less the same:
Yes, on many things D code lines will have shorter length than Java (you
can have free functions, you have the "auto" declarator for variables,
you have scope statements, etc.), but on other things D code might have
more (const/immutable and other attributes, like pure, @safe, etc., etc.).

But in any case this poll is only an informative curiosity. It does not
make sense for it to affect Phobos's style standards, it is the
(weighted) opinion of the Phobos/Druntime developers that should matter,
of course.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer