inlining or not inlining...

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Feb 11 10:08:37 PST 2011

Jim:

> I rarely need to go that low-level.

Two times I have had D1 code that was too much slow compared to equivalent C code. After profiling and some changes I have understood that the cause was an important missing inline. With a list of the inlined functions (as done by CommonLisp some compilers, see the enhancement request in Bugzilla), this search becomes quicker.

> My hope is that the compiler will sort this out in the end. Give it some time, or effort to have these optimizations implemented in the compiler.

The LLVM back-end of LDC is able to inline much more, but even here a list of inlined/not inlined functions helps. D is almost a system language, so sometimes you need to go lower level (or you just need a program that's not too much slow).

Bye,
bearophile