Stupid little iota of an idea

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Feb 11 10:46:03 PST 2011

On 2/10/11 5:29 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>>
>> I don't find the name "iota" stupid.
>
> I never entirely understood the name choice.  I suppose "iota" could be related to a "small step" so iota(1,5) is a series of small steps from 1 to 5?

Pretty much, with the note that the smallest nondegenerated integral
step is 1 :o).

The name "iota" makes perfect sense to me, I knew what it does in the
STL from its signature before reading its definition. There are people
who don't like it, there are people who do, and there are people who
simply pick up the name and use it. I don't see how to improve global
happiness.

Andrei