Stupid little iota of an idea

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sat Feb 12 00:52:54 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 20:01:23 spir wrote:
>> On 02/12/2011 03:05 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> While iota isn't clear, it _does_ have the advantage that you're
>>> not going to _mis_understand
>> Maybe you say this because iota does not mean anything for you (?). I can
>> easily imagine various appropriate uses of iota in a PL, like:
>>
>> * smallest representable value in a given numeric format
>> * threshold over which some measure should be taken into account
>> * threshold under which some difference should be ignored
>> * range for approximate equality (approxEquals: |x - y| < iota)
>> * tolerance interval of technical measures (similar)
>> * ...what else?
>>
>> (I would be surprised if actual uses of iota in english do not point toward
>> this kind of senses.)
>
> iota is almost entirely unused in English. You might say something like "that
> doesn't make an iota of sense," but it's pretty rare. And even if you do, it's
> an iota of _something_, so something like |x - y| < iota would be just plain
> weird. Regardless, iota would be a weird name to use for _anything_ when naming
> variables or functions. It just isn't used much in English. And there are pretty
> much always going to be better names for the function or variable if you're
> trying to use iota for something similar to its actual meaning. If anyone tried
> to use iota to actually mean something as a variable or function name, I'd be
> suggesting that they pick a better nam.

	It is used enough to make it into the Collins Cobuild dictionary,
which uses statistics on word occurrences to decide whether they
should be included. One of the examples they regard as typical is:
“I don't think you've change an iota”, which means more or less
“|new - old| < iota”, so it is not that far fetched.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr