DVCS vs. Subversion brittleness (was Re: Moving to D)

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 01:01:15 PST 2011

2011/2/11 Bruno Medeiros <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail>:
> On 09/02/2011 23:02, Ulrik Mikaelsson wrote:
>> You don't happen to know about any projects of this kind in any other
>> VCS that can be practically tested, do you?
>>

> You mean a project like that, hosted in Subversion or CVS (so that you can
> convert it to Git/Mercurial and see how it is in terms of repo size)?
> I don't know any of the top of my head, except the one in my job, but
> naturally it is commercial and closed-source so I can't share it.
> I'm cloning the Mozilla Firefox repo right now, I'm curious how big it is. (
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Source_Code_%28Mercurial%29)
>
> But other than that, what exactly do you want to test? There is no specific
> thing to test, if you add a binary file (from a format that is already
> compressed, like zip, jar, jpg, etc.) of size X, you will increase the repo
> size by X bytes forever. There is no other way around it. (Unless on Git you
> rewrite the history on the repo, which doubtfully will ever be allowed on
> central repositories)

I want to test how much overhead the git-version _actually_ is,
compared to the SVN-version. Even though the jpg are unlikely to be
much more compressible with regular compression, with
delta-compression and the fact of growing project-size it might still
be interesting to see how much overhead we're talking, and what the
performance over network is.