Stupid little iota of an idea

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Feb 12 07:47:21 PST 2011

On Saturday 12 February 2011 07:34:43 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 2/12/11 8:21 AM, bearophile wrote:
> > Jonathan M Davis:
> >>
> >> Agreed.
> >
> > If you agree on that, then you can't be a designer for a public API.
>
> Oops. Someone stop the release of 2.052 NOW! :o)

LOL. It would be true that I have now named a rather large portion of the
functions in Phobos now thanks to std.datetime. However, those tend to have very
descriptive names. They also tended to be functions which were relatively easy
to name.

Honestly, I never would have named iota iota. It isn't descriptive at all. But
given that we already _have_ the name and there is a precedent for it, I see no
reason to change it. It's short and memorable, and you're not going to
misunderstand what it means based on its name.

So, no I wouldn't have chosen iota if I were naming it, but I don't think that
it's worth breaking code for now. Since we have it, I say take advantage of the
fact that it's short and memorable and just leave it.

- Jonathan M Davis