Unilink - alternative linker for win32/64, DMD OMF extensions?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 10:15:26 PST 2011

On 12.02.2011 16:32, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

> Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>> Ok, bumping this up with the latest news from UniLink developers:
>> <quote>
>>
>> Ok, we release it's as D extension in next release.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>  UniLink
>>
>> </quote>
>>
>> That's just plain awesome ;)
>>

> yeah, it would be great to be able to link against anything else in
> the windows world.
>
> I just tried unilink on a small program compiled with dmd-2.051 and it
> worked alright. Surprisingly, the executable is less than half the
> size of the optlink generated file. Comparing the map files, it does
> not seem to reference less symbols (the corrupted map files written by
> optlink do not allow perfect comparison), so maybe there is a rather
> large alignment used by optlink?

Same things here, as to the executable size it might be some smart
technology they plan to sell ;)

> Unfortunately, unilink does not support the debug information emitted
> by dmd:
>
> UniLink v1.07 [beta] (build 1.19)
> Warning: CV(1)-style debug-info not supported
> Warning: Linked modules don't contain source-level debug information

Yeah, that spoils the party...

> BTW: The authors seem to plan to make unilink a commercial product.
> Here's a quote from the help file: "If current version of UniLink is
> beta (all other versions are commercial and can't be used w/o
> license), keep in mind, any beta will "yaff" after ~1.5 month of
> expired."

I've seen that "yaff" :) Merely a message in console that states that
your beta linker is out of date, functionality not crippled. More
interestingly I haven't seen any commercial versions yet..

--
Dmitry Olshansky