inlining or not inlining...

so so at so.so
Sat Feb 12 19:13:34 PST 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:20:36 +0200, spir <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2011 12:15 PM, Jim wrote:
>> Sorry about that, but I think that is a closely related discussion.
>> @inline is certainly a verb -- even imperative mood, so not just asking
>> for information.
>> Why do you need information if you can't affect the outcome?
>
> I want to know it. First, because it's valuable information in and by
> itself. Second, because it teaches me something. Third, because I can
> then possibly decide to not factor out (may be wrong, but still, I can
> measure...).
> Glasnost for compilers! ;-)
>
> Denis

This is to all of you. Inlining is not a toy, knowing if a function is
inlined or not has no practical purposes in the sense you are asking, or
any other for that matter.
This is a low level optimization, again it is not a toy to play with, and
D being a system language (where function call is cheap) makes this even
more meaningless.

Now i am repeating this the third time seem people just ignore it:

. Inlining problem in D has never been about determining a function is
inlined or not. Walter 100% right on this, go check the freaking asm
output.
. The problem is that we have "no" say in the decision process, and this
is a serious matter in some high performance areas, serious that goes to
decide if they will use a language or not.

So please lets focus on the problem and not waste the time on irrelevant
things/changes/decisions.