tooling quality and some random rant

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 02:10:45 PST 2011

On 13/02/11 6:52 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> D compiles a few orders of magnitude faster than C++ does. Better handling
> of incremental building might be nice for really large projects, but it's
> really not a big issue for D, not like it is for C++.

The only person I know that's worked on large D projects is Tomasz, and
he claimed that he was getting faster compile times in C++ due to being
able to do incremental builds.

"Walter might claim that DMD is fast, but it’s not exactly blazing when
you confront it with a few hundred thousand lines of code. With C/C++,
you’d split your source into .c and .h files, which mean that a
localized change of a .c file only requires the compilation of a single
unit. Take an incremental linker as well, and C++ compiles faster than
D. With D you often have the situation of having to recompile everything
upon the slightest change." (http://h3.gd/devlog/?p=22)